Monday, January 03, 2005

Scheduling the Surgery

I went in to get re-evaluated by Dr Stulting after seeing the his resident on Sunday evening. After several hours in the waiting room I finally got a chance to see "the man." At this point the hole on the front of my cornea had healed, but fluid had continued to gather between the layers of the cornea. The fluid had accumlated to the point right before it ruptured earlier in the week. Dr. Stulting said that there was a large tear in the back part of the cornea that was allowing the fuild between the layers of the cornea. He did not feel the situation was going to get any better, so he thought we should go ahead and schedule the cornea replacement. The problem with going ahead with the surgery was that the tissue in my eye was very soft due to the swelling caused by the hydrops. Dr Stulting's fear was that the soft tissue would not hold the sutures required to secure the new donated tissue. So, he suggested we schedule the surgery a month out to let things settle down. I thought I was ready for the surgery, but actually scheduling the date was a swift blow. I felt kind of scared and unsure of things. I did not like the fact that the situation was less that optimal. I had a great deal of anxiety about things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home